Top Bar

Tuesday, February 25, 2020

Inspired by Mas : Shortknee

IMG_4947
Shortknee photo courtesy of www.spicemasgrenada.com
I first encountered the Shortknee mas when I was 8 years old in Grenada. I was in my grandmother’s veranda around the carnival season and a group of them came into our gap chanting and dancing the traditional moves of the Shortknee. I was mesmerized by the mix of fabrics in their costume, the mirrors on their vestment, bells on their feet and the mask to conceal their face. Not to mention the pelting of powder in the air, it was all so beautiful to me.
image1-2
photo courtesy www.moderndaygilligan.com Photo by Joshua Yetman “Here Come the Shortknees”
image1
Photo Courtesy of www.spiceklyn.com
IMG_4947
Then a few days later, on Carnival Monday, we drove to a town called Chantimelle and saw a whole band of what seemed to be maybe 30-40 of them and it was such a beautiful storm of colors leaving this cloud of baby powder trailing behind them. I fell in love with this traditional mas and how it has always been in my heart. I’ve always worked with fabrics and finding ways to apply to jewelry and accessories and with this I pay homage to the “Shortknee” with my latest jewelry now available on www.AyeShanti.com
image2
Photo Courtesy of www.spicemasgrenada.com
IMG_4971

No comments:

Post a Comment